Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Classroom Rules

I hope you all had an enjoyable long weekend! I welcomed back some eager to go Kindergartners this morning! Someone recently said to me that the first few weeks of kindergarten for teachers is like trying to keep 20 (in my case 12) ping pong balls underwater at the same time. It made me giggle, but then reflect. I've noticed the routines are beginning to set in, and we're on a roll......

This week I have 2 main goals for my class. 1) We will all know each others names. 2) We will work together to establish Our Classroom Rules and then learn what happens when we forget one of the rules.

Today we worked on both goals.
1. We played a button game where kids guess who has the button- it really helps with names!
2. We read "Officer Buckle and Gloria", had a great discussion about safety in school and then came up with a list of our ideas about classroom rules. I did some rearranging at lunch and came up with 4. The idea is that if we create rules as a class, students understand them, are responsible for creating them, and therefore will have an easier time following them.

Here they are!
Be Safe
Be nice to each other
Take care of our toys and tools
Try your best and have fun

This afternoon I'll reveal the new rules to the class and we'll talk about what happens when you forget a rule....I'll probably write a blog about my philosophies on classroom discipline at some point.

Enjoy your day!

P.S. Here's a picture of the day for you. Cuties!

No comments:

Post a Comment