Thursday, April 18, 2013

Kinder"Garden"

Greetings,

 This week was a very busy week for us all. MCS hosted Kindergarten class of 2013-2014 registration on Tuesday morning. It was great and once again I am amazed. I am looking forward to next years class! I also  think of the current kindergartners and can't help but realize how far they've come and grown since last spring!

Speaking of growing, when you walk into our classroom these days the smell of dirt will take over.....but it's also the smell of learning.

This week we've continued our study of living and non-living things, focused specifically on plants. It's what the Kinder"gardeners" seem to be most excited about!

This week we studied the parts of a plant and each parts job.



After lots of discussion and analysis of our own plants it was time for a little check in.
The task: demonstrate (and label) the parts of a plant- students had access to various materials in the classroom and were able to choose what they wanted to use to show me their comprehension. Some students used art supplies, some KidPix on the computer (we've been practicing in tech lab) and one student chose to use pattern blocks.
The products:   AWESOME!





We've also been watching our garden grow each day. This week we saw carrot, marigolds, and pumpkins sprout. The real excitement came when we transplanted our bean plants from wet paper towels to soil and literally watched them grow tall over one night. I wish I had pictures of their faces this morning when they saw the beans.....I guess we know where the story of Jack and The Bean Stalk may have originated.





Like I said, it's been a busy week in Kinder"Garden"!

Next week we're off for April Vacation! I hope you all are able to enjoy some time with friends and family! I know I will!

-Mrs. Leggett


No comments:

Post a Comment